Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Pioneers

It sounds like trek was AWESOME and that things can start officially rolling forward with the wedding now that it's only a MONTH AWAY! Oh my heck, I am so excited for you all- but especially my darling little sister. And for Sid of course!
This week has been so so so so so so so good. We have been focusing on being exactly obedient down to the second. You know that I'm an obedience freak, and that I've been raised to be a "time" freak (being on time for everything, thank you Papa and Mom) so we've been working really hard on combining the two, and we have seen MIRACLES as we have even just barely tweaked the things we are doing.

We found an incredible young family who is SO prepared. We will be teaching them again tonight, but it was one of those instances where we just decided to go try a former investigator that we found in our area book, and they had moved. Happens all the time where we are serving in Omaha. So we knocked, and Luke (the dad) and his two oldest kids answered the door, said he has learned about Joseph Smith before, and that his wife met with Elders in KC before they moved here. He told us to come back and teach his whole family (tonight) and promised they wouldn't turn the lights off and pretend they weren't there. THAT IS A MIRACLE.
We are also teaching a woman named Alyssa...who also has kids. I love teaching families!!!!!!!!!!!!! It just makes sense, because the gospel blesses families. Get it? Ok, dumb preach my gospel joke. Welcome to my life though. We make so many dumb jokes. Alllll the time.
Today we are going to our ward mission leaders house to bake cookies and do laundry with his wife. They are both around 25- our ward has quite a few young couples either for school or who just got jobs out here. It is going to be really fun afternoon, and then we get to have dinner there. He played baseball for UVU so we know a few people in common from that, and because we all lived in Provo. It's a small world when you're LDS.
I took so many tours this week...it's definitely getting to be summer time! I have loved getting to take people on tour who are just SO excited to be here, especially families who sit and have their children participate, and the kids do it because they really want to learn and have fun. I've just noticed that it all starts as a pattern of study- Sister Whittaker took a tour the other day that the mom stopped her in what she had started to say and turned to her kids and asked if they remembered how that applied to what they had read in their scripture study that morning. The kids were able to make connections. I LOVE THAT.

Before I go, I wanted to tell you about Fabio. I think I told you about him before...he is from Brazil and got on Mormon.org chat (visitor center missionaries are the ones who chat) and said that he had seen an article about the new "church" we were building in Rio (the temple). He said he was Catholic, and didn't want to convert, but that he was looking for the "Bible's church" in exactly the way that it is in the Bible. We taught him about the Restoration- that there are apostles and a prophet on the earth, and that we can receive revelation from God. He accepted our offer to attend church and have the missionaries come teach him in Brazil (because I obviously don't speak Portuguese) and I still email him. This week, he said that he is getting baptized, and that he has been to church twice already and he knows that this is Christ's church!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't know it, or even if you have the deepest testimony, will you pray this week to ask God if this is Christ's church, and if it was restored through the prophet Joseph Smith?

I can promise you that as you do that, you will feel the Spirit testify to you that it is, and you will have the desire and opportunity to come closer to Christ!

I love you so much!

Sister Farnsworth

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing mission you are having, Alli. I love your stories and your dedication and your excitement about the gospel. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete